Monday, April 8, 2013

Great Cakes Soap Challenge 2013

I had great intentions for taking part in each challenge that Amy had set this year, especially since there is only going to be 4 of them. I did actually get the tiger stripe soap done in time but to take photos and and post about it was just beyond me over the easter week. My excuse is that we had some very dear freinds come and stay, as well as having all the kids home, so my time was pretty streched. Well it still is, but I am forgetting about all the jobs that are calling my name for a little while and am going to get this post done, while I drink my cup of tea.

First up was the tiger stripe. I had already tried this after I saw Amys valentines day soaps. My daughters boyfreind is a deer hunter, and last time he shot a deer, we saved all the fat from the butchering, I rendered it down and the first soap I made with it was this "Vanilla Anise" I coloured the black with activated charcoal and put the vanilla in that part with the hope that the white would stay white, I think I'll keep dreaming. But I don't mind the little bit of discolouring from the vanilla. And would prefer to put up with the browning than use titanium dioxide after reading a news article about the dangers of it.
The mix was a bit thin, I think. And didn't quite "tiger stripe" as I had hoped. But I am still happy with the end result.

Vanilla Anise.
Next up I had offered to make party favours for my sisters baby shower, as she doesn't know the sex of her baby I got to make two lots of soap, a blue and a pink. The blue I coloured with a neon ultra blue violet. I was expecting a more blue colour, maybe I should have added a bit more. I scented this batch with fresh snow. I was a bit nervous about how it would turn out as I was using the base of cereal boxes to make smaller soaps, but I am happy with the end result.
Fresh Snow
Then I had to make the pink. I had the perfect scent. In my soap supplies order I was given a sample of Peach Mango, very girly. I added some orange EO to make up what I needed for the batch and coloured with neon fired up fuschia. The mix started setting up really quick so I scooped and glugged more than poured. Not sure if it was the recipe, or the fragrance, or the fact that I made these at 4am when I couldn't sleep.
 I wouldn't call these tiger stripes either, but I still think they look cute.
So if my sister happens to read this, I hope you like them.

Peach Mango and Orange
Now for the second challenge, the Elemental Swirl. I love the effect of this, with the two layers of contrasting colours. I knew I could do it, but I also knew I needed to be quick and well prepared. so I planned. I looked at my list of what needs to be restocked and thought Rose castile. Castile recipe would give me plenty of time to work. I didn't have quite enough Rose Geranium EO so I added some May Chang and Cedarwood to try and hold the May Chang. I mixed up white, green and blue clays for the base,and white, yellow, red and pink clays for the top. I got my cocoa ready for the line, all is well. I mixed up the soap and it went straight to a thick trace, so I quickly divided it up. Did the ITP for the base, poured it, sprinkled the cocoa. looked back at the jugs with the top colours and they were starting to set, so I had an in the pot glug. I had to spoon it onto the base. Then I started stressing that maybe it was going to be lye heavy, but when I went back 2 days later to cut it. It was perfect. I was so happy with the result. And the scent is so nice and lemony and floraly. Now I just have to find a name for it.

Rose Geranium and May Chang.
Amy, thank you so much for setting up these challenges again. I really don't know how you can do it. But I really am glad that you are.